A love for the family farm
The invaluable help of family and friends keeps the Knox farm, originally a dairy farm, going strong.
"Many people have strong ties to this property," says Mr. Knox, "and by everyone pitching in, we're able to provide a glimpse of life on the farm as it was more than a century ago."
A Family Operation
The Knox Family has been farming in Durham since 1832. On arrival from Scotland, Alexander Knox built a stone house for his wife Jean and their nine children.
Seven generations later, the Knox farming traditions are still going strong, as we continue to give back to our community and help others learn about agriculture, food and farming in Ontario.
The Knox farm family has been recognized with inductions into the Order of Canada, the Canadian Agricultural Hall of Fame, the Ontario Agricultural Hall of Fame, and recognized with the Grand Champion award at the Royal Winter Fair, and by the Ontario Heritage Trust, and the local community. We even have a few (dairy) princesses in the family!
John Knox; Alexander's great-grandson & our great-grandad
Nestled into the countryside, this historic farm offers lots of fun for the whole family. Young and old alike delight in the offering of fall activities, which include thousands of pumpkins and fall decor, wagon rides, farm animals, a straw jump, and pony rides, along with a snack shack, fresh kettle corn, and hot apple cider. Winter features Santa himself, horse drawn wagon rides and cozy campfires.
Through the Generations
The farm house was built 137 years ago, in 1887, to replace the log cabin which originally stood just south of it.
Jordan & Edith Van Nest (son of John Van Nest & Lydia Trull), and their ten children were the first of many since to slide down the banister and play in the 'big room' with its seven doors. Today, four generations of Knox descendants come 'home for the harvest' to help welcome y'all back for pumpkins, ponies and popcorn!
Heart of the Family
The land is located on the traditional territories of the Wendat, Anishinabek Nation, and the territory covered by Williams Treaties First Nations.
In 1849, the Crown granted the lands to Alexander Farewell (Farewell Creek runs through the farm). The former dairy farm has now become a pure-bred Blonde d'Aquitaine cattle and Percheron horse farm, and the pumpkins once grown for Stokely Van Camp canning factory are now shared at our seasonal farm market.
With over 300 acres of crops, pasture and forest, the farm is helping to feed cities while educating the community about agriculture.